Sunday, November 30, 2008

Blog 13: Website Style

There are certain ways to find things; other ways do not work. The coverpop for finding items on Amazon is one of the ways that doesn’t. For browsing photos or just for browsing randomly, it is a valid search tool. If one was trying to find something specific, it would be maddening if that was the only way possible.

On the other hand, this method of finding images would be valuable were someone to do a collage of some sort. The colrpickr version would also be valuable for a mosaic type of thing also.

(like this)
http://www.aolej.com/mosaic/gallery/colo.jpg

Mostly, I found the coverpop page aggravating and useless because I would never search for something in that manner and when I was trying to see different books, it would continue to show the same cover. Perhaps this was just because the collage repeated books in order to make a better rainbow. The colrpickr was more appealing to me because there seemed to be more of a method to finding the photos. Not only could you decide what color scheme you were looking for the pictures in, but you could narrow it down into categories. Changing the categories was also available in coverpop, but it was still more frustrating for me to navigate.

Of the first four websites given, my favorite was the flickr map search tool. This is mostly because I found it interesting to see what regions of the world were taking pictures of what. The fact that you could see the exact location of where the picture was coming from intrigued me also. (I actually wasn’t sure whether the given location was where the photo was taken or where the photographer was from…)

Of the last three websites, I was able to navigate the first and the last, but not the “don’t shoot the puppy” site. There were only two objects that you were able to click: one didn’t do anything and the other made a screen come up saying “You lost.” I still don’t know how you’re supposed to win. All the websites seem to play with the concept of doing something you’re not supposed to. With the red dot, there is nothing else to click, so the viewer is certainly going to click it. I’m not sure how someone would have found that site if they didn’t have it shown to them, though. No one would search for something like that. The website, dontclick.it was a strange concept. I hadn’t ever questioned having a mouse or the other ways that could be used to navigate the computer. Because I have had my mouse and keyboard broken several times, I have found other ways to execute the same functions.

No comments: